Scotland’s Largest Primary School is Now Open!
The new Wallyford Primary School has been handed over to East Lothian Council by its development partner Hub South East and contractor, Morrison Construction. Pupils and Staff moved into their new state-of-the-art school in February 2019 after a 15-month construction period.
Hub-SE/Morrison Construction commissioned Wardell Armstrong to carry out civil, structural and landscaping consultancy services for the largest primary school in Scotland located at Wallyford, East Lothian.
As a four-stream primary school with pre-school facilities, Wallyford Primary will have a total peak roll of over 1,190 pupils with 41 classrooms, a multipurpose hall, movement and dance studio, kitchen, dining area, community library and plantroom developed around classroom “clusters”. The structural form comprises of a 2-storey steel frame adopting concrete ground and first floors, masonry walls and cladding and a composite insulated panel roof. The landscape design includes internal teaching courtyards and external areas incorporating a formal frontage, several sports pitches and a range of natural play spaces. The design focused on creating smaller, sheltered spaces within the large, exposed site to create child-friendly scale and usable outdoor facilities.
Wardell Armstrong was commissioned to provide civil, structural and landscaping services including:
- Structural design of the primary school, including foundations, superstructure and cladding elements.
- BIM Level 2 modelling
- Design of the drainage system and the connection with the local network.
- Earthworks design including cut and fill proposals and the design of associated car park areas and footways.
- Providing SER certification in accordance with the Structural Engineers Registration Scheme, on completion of the design;
- Producing a landscape strategy, design and softworks maintenance for all the areas of the development.
The project commenced on site in October 2017 and was successfully handed over in February 2019