Barratt Homes – Plymouth Barratt Homes – Plymouth

Barratt Homes – Plymouth

When Barratt Homes were developing the 6.8 hectare former Hooe Lake Quarry site in Plymouth (now known as 'Reflections'), they commissioned us to design and oversee the remediation earthworks. After operating as a quarry with lime kilns for sixty years, the site was taken over by the MOD in 1914. Used as a bulk storage depot for petrol, diesel and aviation fuel, it was reportedly a mass of burning oil when it was bombed in WWII. In 1942, the Admiralty constructed three underground storage tanks on the site, each with a capacity of a million gallons of fuel.
 
After carrying out intrusive investigation and identifying isolated areas of hydrocarbon contaminants, our team of specialist scientists and engineers designed and supervised a full programme of remediation works to clean up the affected areas and to re-profile and engineer the site. 
 
As the work progressed, we designed alternative cost-effective approaches for all aspects of the development ranging from gas vapour assessments to retaining structures and the retention and support of a listed lime kiln building. The scheme successfully received NHBC and local authority regulatory approval after the submission of our validation report.